Lamb Sikandari Recipe
Here is an exclusive recipe from our Award-winning Chef, Ashok Ram! It is for Lamb Sikandari one of Ashok’s favourite dishes.
Slow cooked tender lamb leg marinated with various Indian herbs and spices for 48 hours. Once marinated, it is then roasted in the oven and topped up with a Chickpea Curry. Perfect for Lamb Curry lovers!
Prepare a marinade with ingredients below. Place in a bowl and stir until smooth.
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsbp turmeric powder
- 15 small garlic cloves (grated)
- 1 tsbp chilli powder
- 1 tsbp tandoori powder
- 2 tsbp dry fenugreek leaves
- 1 tsbp garam masala
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsbp garlic paste
- 1 tsbp ginger paste
- 1 tsbp mustard paste
- 1 tsbp mint paste
- 60 ml olive oil
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1 kg natural Greek yoghurt
- 3 tbsp salt
- Take 1 leg lamb (2.5kg)
- Pierce the lamb leg in random spots all over and pour the marinade over the meat, ensuring all surfaces are covered.
- Cover with cling film, place the meat in the fridge and leave to marinate at least 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 320ºF/160ºC/gas mark 3.
- Remove the clingfilm and place the meat in an oiled roasting tray.
- Cook in the oven for 2 hours. Check that the meat cooks evenly, otherwise you’ll need to turn the tray around halfway through.
- Crank up the heat to 390ºF/200ºC/gas mark 6 and cook for another 30 mins.
- The lamb should have formed a golden, crisp crust.
- Switch off the oven and leave the lamb in there for another 30 minutes, then serve.
Serve with steamed vegetables and add a chickpea curry (medium strength) on top.